Stormtrooper Accuracy

Discussion of the SWM Mandalorian review show
sledge_antilles

Stormtrooper Accuracy

Post by sledge_antilles »

I was under the impression that when the two speeder scooter troopers were taking potshots at the thing on the ground (near the beginning of Chapter 8), the action/scene seems to suggest the reason they couldn't hit their target was because of poorly manufactured blaster pistols rather than suggesting they're just terrible shots. No?
MattwithTwoTees

Re: Stormtrooper Accuracy

Post by MattwithTwoTees »

That thought had occurred to me as well. That was my impression playing the games since in the Jedi Knight games the E-11 was purposefully inaccurate.
"They always lock the door. You'd think they'd have learned by now. Doesn't look like there’s a key – that would be too easy. The console to unlock the door is probably hidden in some room twelve floors up or something…how does that make sense?"
sledge_antilles

That was so frustrating - I constantly switched back to the pistol instead! Good memories!
SteveMorey

Post by SteveMorey »

It never occurred to me that the pistols were badly made. But it does explain our heroes' amazing luck. Although would that allow for them missing IG-11 at point-blank range?
sledge_antilles

It seems like that might be the *only* way to explain that...
YourTriclopsTheorySucks

Post by YourTriclopsTheorySucks »

Vibiant

Post by Vibiant »

I do know that shooting real pistols in real life of varying quality definately has an effect on my marksmanship. I can't imagine wearing a plastic helmet with a tiny viewport would help either.
4526718R9S3
Malakili

Post by Malakili »

My thoughts were that the troopers were not classically trained scout troopers (just two regular space jamoches) and were never properly trained, and that they are arrogantly poor at shooting. The shaking of the pistol is because the troopers themselves think it is the faulty blaster's poor aim.
nashville

Post by nashville »

Didn't Pete and Alex say something about "maybe the guns are just bad" and then they realized "but then why did Han, Luke, and Leia have such good aim after taking the stormtroopers' guns?"

I know the real life answer is that George didn't think about that part too hard and was more focused on making an exciting movie that people loved (and he did). It would be cool to come up with a satisfying in-universe explanation.
Nodnarb Keryon

Post by Nodnarb Keryon »

I kept waiting for one of the bike troopers to criticize the gun for being junk... then the other to tell the first trooper to shut up, if any of the officers hear him talking like that they'd both be executed.

Im sure the empires bureaucracy has all kind of shady bad deals worked out with the empire's military industrial complex