Dune

Sometimes we read books that *aren't* about Star Wars
ListenerMattBurkey

Dune

Post by ListenerMattBurkey »

It's pretty easy to see that Star Wars owes an awful lot to Dune. I read the first novel in 2013 and am just now getting to reading the sequel. And the sequel just isn't living up to the hype of the first one for me. Who else among SWM nerds have also read Dune and how do you feel about it?
PeteTheRetailer

Re: Dune

Post by PeteTheRetailer »

I've read almost all of the original books, and I love them each in a completely separate way.
ListenerMattBurkey

Post by ListenerMattBurkey »

Finished Messiah today. It really picked up at the end and was more House of Cards than Star Wars. Maybe I won't wait 7 years to read the next one.
IV25

Post by IV25 »

My dad and I always discussed Dune as the adult version of Star Wars, in our eyes a lot of darker areas of fandom that people wanted explored would be better explored in this Universe.

Do you feel that way after reading?
Staatz

Post by Staatz »

I gave up after the Jabba emperor book.

Read the second one first, which I hear tell was originally part of the first book before his editor split it in two, it worked better that way I think.
Khailovesthispodcast

Post by Khailovesthispodcast »

This is gonna sound like one of those "I heard it from a friend who heard it from somewhere" stories, but I swear it's true. My best friend growing up had some of Frank Herbert's original handwritten notes. When I asked him how he got them he told me that his great aunt was actually Frank Herbert's mistress and gave some of them to her, and she passed them down to her family.
"If only there was a place to talk about Star Wars Minute that wasn't on Facebook. Oh! Hello there."
PeteTheRetailer

Post by PeteTheRetailer »

Re-reading Dune with my wife right now, and I forgot how much I loved it.
So many details I'd forgotten!
Glenston

Post by Glenston »

I read it again in the summer and just loved it, the story is great but for me it’s the world building and the characters that really put it above a lot of other sci-fi. Still haven’t read any of the sequels, I kind of worry they can’t live up to the first book. Does anyone think they’re worth a read?
JermDodd

Post by JermDodd »

Glenston wrote: December 20th, 2020, 10:54 pm I read it again in the summer and just loved it, the story is great but for me it’s the world building and the characters that really put it above a lot of other sci-fi. Still haven’t read any of the sequels, I kind of worry they can’t live up to the first book. Does anyone think they’re worth a read?
I’m rereading the entire series now for about the 5th or 6th time, but the first time in a looong while. I’m almost done with book 4. They get REALLY weird but there’s something about them that I just love. I haven’t read any of the Brian Herbert books — the supplemental series nor the supposed last two in the main series — but I’m thinking about giving those last two a shot this time around. I do not have high hopes.
Glenston

Post by Glenston »

I’m always a bit sceptical when it comes to someone else picking up an author’s vision based on notes they left behind so probably will never read the Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson ones but may well make a start on Messiah in the new year and see how I get on.