Long live the fighters

A place for discussions that have nothing to do with SWM and don't fit into any of the other fora.
Glenston

Long live the fighters

Post by Glenston »

I’m cautiously optimistic for this one, I’ve maybe seen the David Lynch movie twice in my 40 years and read the book once but I think in the right hands it could be spectacular, I liked what Denis Villeneuve did with Blade Runner 2049 and looks like he’s got an impressive cast so fingers crossed. https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/20 ... popular4-1
PeteTheRetailer

Re: Long live the fighters

Post by PeteTheRetailer »

As a fan of the 1984 film AND the books, I can't wait for this movie. I think I might be too excited and I can't help but be let down.
Glenston

Re: Long live the fighters

Post by Glenston »

The first time I watched Lynch’s movie I was probably about 12 and I think I was quite bored by it all, I suspect at the time I was expecting it just to be all laser guns and space battles and when it wasn’t I was just left a bit cold. I think I saw it again in my early 20’s but still hadn’t read the book by that point but was well aware of Lynch’s other movies, I loved the set design and weirdness of it all and the cast is just great but I still felt pretty lost in the plot. I really loved the book when I finally read it about 10 years ago although I never got round to reading any of the sequels.

I feel like now is a good time to revisit the Lynch movie and the novel. What excites me the most about this new one is the talent behind it, Denis Villeneuve really made something special with Blade Runner 2049 and I’m just impressed that Warner Brothers are trusting him with this considering Blade Runner 2049 did not perform well at the box office, it’s reassuring that a big studio would back what could be a commercial risk. I know he’s not working with the same cinematographer this time but Greig Fraser made Rogue One look pretty amazing so I’m expecting it to look spectacular.

I know that Jodorowsky’s Dune gave people a glimpse at what might have been but I remember reading about the version that Ridley Scott had been working on before dropping out and given that he worked with Villeneuve on the production of Blade Runner 2049 I wonder if any of the ideas he’s had in mind might end up on screen this time round.