The Last Jedi Minute 2

Discussion of Star Wars Minute episodes, past and present
babu_f—k

The Last Jedi Minute 2

Post by babu_f—k »

Although I love The Last Jedi, I think it has my least favorite opening shot of the series. For a film that has so much great cinematography, the opening feels perfunctory and lacking in any interesting symbolism or design.

Just as an exercise, here's my opening shot ranking (not including Solo A Star Wars Story Available Now on Blu Ray, which decides it's not a star war and starts on the ground): R, II, IV, III, VII, VI, V, I, IX, VIII
David

Re: The Last Jedi Minute 2

Post by David »

Agreed, I love how abstract the opening of R1 is, and totally, Rise of Sky is weak as heck.

I think there was an initial idea for TFA opening where we follow Lukes severed Bespin hand and saber as it enters the atmosphere. Incredible. Wish we got that sort of bravery in the sequels.

I love TLJ and looking forward to this season!
Saiseeeeee Tiin

Post by Saiseeeeee Tiin »

Fun fact. The reason why the opening of TLJ might feel a bit uninspired is that originally the film was going to start on Finn. We open on a starfield as per usual, the camera pans down to what looks like the atmosphere of a planet which turns out to be the spherical shape of Finns bubble helmet. They later reshuffled things to get into the action quicker and moved Finn's stuff to after the battle.
babu_f—k

Post by babu_f—k »

That's fascinating! I like both of those ideas: Luke's severed hand and Finn's bubble. Seems like both would have been very emblematic of the movie to follow, and were scrapped in favor of a more generic blockbuster opening that fits the SW format.
Glenston

Post by Glenston »

The rough cut of the original opening for TLJ is on the extras on Disney + and probably quite easy to find on YouTube. I don’t think the Luke’s hand opening in TFA made it past pre-production but would’ve been cool to see.
Ando_Calrissian

Post by Ando_Calrissian »

I honestly remember really liking the opening pan (and zoom) down in TLJ, but it's been a while since I've seen it. This gives me a great excuse to go watch all the openings back-to-back and come up with a ranking
Khailovesthispodcast

Post by Khailovesthispodcast »

Ando_Calrissian wrote: February 5th, 2021, 6:07 am I honestly remember really liking the opening pan (and zoom) down in TLJ, but it's been a while since I've seen it. This gives me a great excuse to go watch all the openings back-to-back and come up with a ranking
Now I'll have to stitch all the openings together into a GIF. Should I do them all at once (in a grid), or one at a time (release order)?
"If only there was a place to talk about Star Wars Minute that wasn't on Facebook. Oh! Hello there."
PeteTheRetailer

Post by PeteTheRetailer »

I wonder what they'd look like overlaid on one another
babu_f—k

Post by babu_f—k »

Khailovesthispodcast wrote: February 5th, 2021, 11:54 am
Now I'll have to stitch all the openings together into a GIF. Should I do them all at once (in a grid), or one at a time (release order)?
A grid! I love grids.