SWMWE #298

Discussion of Star Wars Minute episodes, past and present
stevejrogers

SWMWE #298

Post by stevejrogers »

On today’s SWMWE, forgotten sci-fi IPs that have a fanbase were brought up, along with actors being involved in “expanded fan fiction universe” material for said IPs.

I forget who it was about, it may have been William Hootkins, Jet Porkins himself. But there is a podcaster who often quips about an actor with character actor/background roles in multiple well known sci-fi and action adventure genre films would have made a killing on convention circuits.

Stuff like that always makes me think of Pete and Alex always suggest, and rightfully so in many cases, about how resentful actors can
be about their bit part jobs that happen to have rabid and obsessed fan bases for those IPs.

And conversely I think Alex has mentioned eye rolling at the most bit role performer try to hustle on the circuit just off of the idea that they had a few seconds of screen time.

Bringing it back to Hookins, if he was whom the “he was probably treated like a God at conventions” quips are about, I’d imagine he would have rather been recognized just as much for being Winston Churchill in an early 1980s series about David Lloyd George more so than when he pops up in random well known genre movies.

Another point I’d probably make would be that actors would probably take a John Cazale run, without the fact that dying young ended the streak, of having significant starring roles in 5 consecutive films that were nominated for Best Picture Oscars, much more than being involved as a background performer on a string of significant genre movies, no matter the popularity of them.
PeteTheRetailer

Re: SWMWE #298

Post by PeteTheRetailer »

I love it when they come back to it, either from washing out or just coming to peace with their work.
MoonSofiEgo

Post by MoonSofiEgo »

Which actors went full circle, from distancing themselves back to embracing it? The only ones I can think of right now are Sean Connery(never say never, but did he really embrace it?) and Vin Diesel returning to Fast & Furious after two movies without him(cameo in Tokyo Drift excepted).
stevejrogers

Post by stevejrogers »

PeteTheRetailer wrote: February 17th, 2021, 10:51 pm I love it when they come back to it, either from washing out or just coming to peace with their work.
For me, that goes for any IP, regardless of genre.

I like the idea that the rewatch podcast genre has opened up to cast and crew members embrace their work in that particular platform. And it’s just as much of embracing the work as being spotlighted on convention circuits that the IP is in a genre for, or appearing at any sort of reunion for that IP.
stevejrogers

Post by stevejrogers »

MoonSofiEgo wrote: February 19th, 2021, 1:13 pm Which actors went full circle, from distancing themselves back to embracing it? The only ones I can think of right now are Sean Connery(never say never, but did he really embrace it?) and Vin Diesel returning to Fast & Furious after two movies without him(cameo in Tokyo Drift excepted).
Tom Welling, Clark Kent in Smallville, finally started doing the convention circuit in 2018/2019 and, say what you will about it, but his cameo in the Arrowverse’s Crisis on Infinite Earths crossover event gave the Clark character a bit of closure.

Harrison Ford is a great example for the franchise IPs he’s been parts of actually.