The Last Jedi Minute 28 re Leia's tracking device

Discussion of Star Wars Minute episodes, past and present
carldispoto

The Last Jedi Minute 28 re Leia's tracking device

Post by carldispoto »

Re Alex's issue with Leia's tracking device being OK vs the FO tracking the Resistance being a surprise ....

The way I always thought of it is that because Rey also has a device connected to Leia's device, they each can find each other. However, without that connected device, one would not be able to find the other
babu_f—k

Re: The Last Jedi Minute 28 re Leia's tracking device

Post by babu_f—k »

Yeah the difference between types of tracking seemed clear cut to me while watching, although I still think there was a weird amount of focus on the "cloaked binary beacon," almost like it was inserted in reshoots to solve a "plot hole."

Sort of relevant to the discussion of tracking, Hux's line of "we have them on a string" and the characters' disbelief that the FO could be tracking them through hyperspace seem intended to make the viewer expect there to be a mole in the Resistance. I don't recall if it's ever voiced, but the implication that Holdo is a spy for the First Order is well-delivered through the subtext of dialogue and the cinematography. On a rewatch, though, it's hard to think of her as a spy, since the back end of the movie vindicates her quite a bit.

It's hard to see the movie through 2017 eyes, but at the time it really was a gasp-a-minute film, sort of like Rian Johnson wanted to extend the "I am your father" scene for an entire 152 minutes. Some of the surprises have less of an impact on rewatch, some have more in the context of the wider story, and some are forgotten as surprises at all.
stormshadowrocks

Re: The Last Jedi Minute 28 re Leia's tracking device

Post by stormshadowrocks »

babu_f—k wrote: March 10th, 2021, 9:47 am Sort of relevant to the discussion of tracking, Hux's line of "we have them on a string" and the characters' disbelief that the FO could be tracking them through hyperspace seem intended to make the viewer expect there to be a mole in the Resistance. I don't recall if it's ever voiced, but the implication that Holdo is a spy for the First Order is well-delivered through the subtext of dialogue and the cinematography. On a rewatch, though, it's hard to think of her as a spy, since the back end of the movie vindicates her quite a bit.
when I first watched the movie. I thought the "We have them on a string" line meant that Finn had some latent First Order Stormtrooper internal tracker or something of the sort that allowed them to trace where he was (hence a mole). But of course then they would've used it in Force Awakens, and that quickly washed that idea from my head.