Anyone remember the divisiveness of the Prequels?

Hello there!
stevejrogers

Anyone remember the divisiveness of the Prequels?

Post by stevejrogers »

Clearly, it probably isn’t the level of Disney era movies so far, probably due to various reasons on both sides.

But I was recently reminded that there was a point where on forums back in the day that people who LIKED the prequels were called racists (probably due to Gungans and Watto seemingly being over the top anti-specific group stereotypes).

It all does seem to be a group think hive mind mentality, as a Star Wars podcaster I know famously said he didn’t know he was supposed to hate the Ewoks until he first discovered internet Star Wars fandom (despite the conversation in Clerks, that probably helped grow the Ewok hate beyond “growing too old to like that sort of thing”).

I guess the point is that SW has always been divisive, and it has nothing to do with the country’s leadership. Essentially don’t focus the blame for the divisive attitudes on whatever you the political landscape is, and whatever people whom you feel the person running the oval office “emboldens” to “lash out publicly” which does seem to be the place that the backlash to the backlash comes from.
timgowen@googlemail.com

Re: Anyone remember the divisiveness of the Prequels?

Post by timgowen@googlemail.com »

Yeah, and the Special Editions - which seems like a more successful complaint! But how good was it to see SW in the cinema again!?
Mom2Remi&Drew

Re: Anyone remember the divisiveness of the Prequels?

Post by Mom2Remi&Drew »

timgowen@googlemail.com wrote: December 31st, 2019, 11:59 pm But how good was it to see SW in the cinema again!?
When I finally saw TROS for the second time on Tuesday, it struck me that it's so magical to get to watch SW in a theater. I barely care about the content, but that opening sequence, the crawl, the music...can't be beaten.