Just Saw Rise of Skywalker for the second time

Hello there!
carldispoto

Just Saw Rise of Skywalker for the second time

Post by carldispoto »

I don't like this movie. I love this movie.

5 - 4 - 8/9/6 - 7 - R1/Solo - 3 - 1 -2
Mom2Remi&Drew

Re: Just Saw Rise of Skywalker for the second time

Post by Mom2Remi&Drew »

I'm starting to feel the same after my second viewing...I'm craving a third now.
Glenston

Post by Glenston »

I watched it at the midnight viewing with some friends and then the following evening with my sons aged 5 and 8, I loved it, I know it’s all been mixed in terms people’s reaction and the critics but I just enjoyed so much about to let any minor quibbles spoil things. It was also the Star Wars that my kids have had the most fun watching at the cinema which just added to it.

I doubt that I’ll get back to the cinema to see it again but hoping that by the time we get Disney + here in the UK that they’ll have it on at launch so we can enjoy it at home, plus will also finally be able to see if The Mandalorian lives up to all the positive hype I’ve been hearing.
iyer.a.genius

Post by iyer.a.genius »

Second time I saw it I had tears, so many awesome, over-the-top moments coupled with emotional ones! It felt like the MOST Star Wars Star War that had ever Star War-ed.
Ceridwen

Post by Ceridwen »

I wrote up a little thread on Twitter about my own Campbell-like BS thematic stuff that really resonated with me about this as the "end" of the saga:
When Joseph Campbell first wrote about the Monomyth, he was studying texts that did not consciously make use of it. Many times, the cultural context of the stories he wrote about would render the meaning HE took from them nonsensical.

Similarly, the people making #TheRiseOfSkywalker have admitted that some of their decisions were just made on gut instinct on set or in the edit. And the writers may have stated an intent that doesn't ring true to you. This is hardly the first time that has been the case.

To say that means the film was put together without care is to say that of this entire series, including #TheLastJedi. To say it breaks the series, breaks the myth? It's 1983/1999/2002/2005/2008 - omg it will never stop now...

We don't know what the "myth" is until we've seen it. Now we know: The Force was telling Rey that she was a Skywalker (the mythological name for the "Chosen One" of this overarching story) in #TheForceAwakens. She didn't believe it then and ran from it.

Kylo Ren then represents her shadow self mythologically. In #TheLastJedi he tells her she has no part in the story, that she comes from nothing, is nothing. The shadow self represents the parts of ourselves we don't want to see and this is who she thinks she is after Ach-To.

If Kylo Ren were "co-protagonist" as some have claimed? This is where HE would turn. It is comparable to the moment in Anakin's story at the Tusken camp, where he entered the "womb of the world" and was reborn, not a hero, but a man of secrets and lies and obsession with power.

Kylo and Rey enter the "womb of the world" together on Snoke's ship, and when they emerge, she is on the journey to acceptance (ending this chapter hearing the words "We have everything we need."), while he has rededicated himself to violence and despair.

This is why Yoda tells Luke that he has completed the training when he returns to Dagobah in #ReturnOfTheJedi; because when he entered "the womb of the world" on Cloud City, he did not give in to his despair, but emerged rededicated to the path of good.

Since his shadow self is represented by his father, his tool of acceptance without despair is to live in memory of the good. "I have accepted the truth that you were once Anakin Skywalker, my father."

Back to Rey: When we meet her at the beginning of #TheRiseOfSkywalker, she is still on the path to acceptance. She voices her doubts ("I will be worthy of your brother's saber" is met with the most wonderful "You already are" sigh from Master Leia) but she is doing the hard work.

This is why, when Kylo Ren returns to her with more painful truths from the shadow self, he has to try a different tactic. "You don't just have power. You have his power." This moment is being compared to "I am your father", but it isn't that. It's "Leia is my sister."

She is already on the path to integrating the previous knowledge, so this is an attempt to prey on her own hard work. Luke accepted the good of his father, so his shadow self had to prey on other fears. "If you are your father, will you murder 'for your family' like he did?"

For Rey the question is different, because her shadow self is a symbolic love interest (I do not mean that in terms of "who the characters as people are attracted to" but "what they represent in faerie tale terms" because I do not ship anything, please leave me out of that).

Since "You're nothing, but not to me" only compelled her away from him and toward further work for good, he tries to use what worked on him: the "burden" of a "bloodline". Just as Vader tried to use what previously worked on him: the "responsibility" to "kill for those you love".

In each case, though, the second revelation is a LIE wrapped in truth. Luke shows this when he throws down his lightsaber. "I can save what I love without surrendering to violence." Rey shows this when she calls out to the Jedi. "Family is not blood, but who I love and defend."

So when Lor San Tekka said to Kylo Ren "You can not deny the truth that is your family" he means "You can not deny that there are people trying desperately to love and defend you." There is no one on the dark side loving or defending him.

When he gives his life so she may live, it is the ultimate expression of that definition of family. Her shadow self is fully integrated, Rey and Kylo becoming a literally reborn entity, Rey Skywalker, who returns home to the loving embrace of her family.

The first Skywalker was a woman from nowhere who was sold into slavery on a desert planet. We don't even know if that was her parents' name, or a name given her along her path. How beautifully fitting that another woman from nowhere should be her heir. The circle is now complete.
Needless to say a certain section of fans are calling me brainwashed over this "hot take" (just my ramble Saturday morning thoughts), oh well, prequel days all over again.
Staatz

Post by Staatz »

It's definitely growing on me after the third viewing. My oldest absolutely loves it and my youngest's favorite Star Wars character is D-O. It's also given me a new apprication for the simplicity Star Wars TMP has as a self contained story, no supprize connections, no weird sith stuff. Just a crazy old wizard, the boy, two droids and no questions asked.

4, 8, 6, 7, 5, 9, 1, Solo, 2, R1, 3
carldispoto

Post by carldispoto »

I feel like because of the sometimes chaotic pacing, the film's themes are really being overlooked. I feel like it's a pretty deep film with a lot going on that gets missed because of ALL THE STUFF going on on screen. Maybe they should've slowed it down as bit and not thrown SO MUCH on screen but I think it will age well over time.
Boushhdag

Post by Boushhdag »

Ceridwen wrote: January 12th, 2020, 3:52 am I wrote up a little thread on Twitter about my own Campbell-like BS thematic stuff that really resonated with me about this as the "end" of the saga:
When Joseph Campbell first wrote about the Monomyth, he was studying texts that did not consciously make use of it. Many times, the cultural context of the stories he wrote about would render the meaning HE took from them nonsensical.

Similarly, the people making #TheRiseOfSkywalker have admitted that some of their decisions were just made on gut instinct on set or in the edit. And the writers may have stated an intent that doesn't ring true to you. This is hardly the first time that has been the case.

To say that means the film was put together without care is to say that of this entire series, including #TheLastJedi. To say it breaks the series, breaks the myth? It's 1983/1999/2002/2005/2008 - omg it will never stop now...

We don't know what the "myth" is until we've seen it. Now we know: The Force was telling Rey that she was a Skywalker (the mythological name for the "Chosen One" of this overarching story) in #TheForceAwakens. She didn't believe it then and ran from it.

Kylo Ren then represents her shadow self mythologically. In #TheLastJedi he tells her she has no part in the story, that she comes from nothing, is nothing. The shadow self represents the parts of ourselves we don't want to see and this is who she thinks she is after Ach-To.

If Kylo Ren were "co-protagonist" as some have claimed? This is where HE would turn. It is comparable to the moment in Anakin's story at the Tusken camp, where he entered the "womb of the world" and was reborn, not a hero, but a man of secrets and lies and obsession with power.

Kylo and Rey enter the "womb of the world" together on Snoke's ship, and when they emerge, she is on the journey to acceptance (ending this chapter hearing the words "We have everything we need."), while he has rededicated himself to violence and despair.

This is why Yoda tells Luke that he has completed the training when he returns to Dagobah in #ReturnOfTheJedi; because when he entered "the womb of the world" on Cloud City, he did not give in to his despair, but emerged rededicated to the path of good.

Since his shadow self is represented by his father, his tool of acceptance without despair is to live in memory of the good. "I have accepted the truth that you were once Anakin Skywalker, my father."

Back to Rey: When we meet her at the beginning of #TheRiseOfSkywalker, she is still on the path to acceptance. She voices her doubts ("I will be worthy of your brother's saber" is met with the most wonderful "You already are" sigh from Master Leia) but she is doing the hard work.

This is why, when Kylo Ren returns to her with more painful truths from the shadow self, he has to try a different tactic. "You don't just have power. You have his power." This moment is being compared to "I am your father", but it isn't that. It's "Leia is my sister."

She is already on the path to integrating the previous knowledge, so this is an attempt to prey on her own hard work. Luke accepted the good of his father, so his shadow self had to prey on other fears. "If you are your father, will you murder 'for your family' like he did?"

For Rey the question is different, because her shadow self is a symbolic love interest (I do not mean that in terms of "who the characters as people are attracted to" but "what they represent in faerie tale terms" because I do not ship anything, please leave me out of that).

Since "You're nothing, but not to me" only compelled her away from him and toward further work for good, he tries to use what worked on him: the "burden" of a "bloodline". Just as Vader tried to use what previously worked on him: the "responsibility" to "kill for those you love".

In each case, though, the second revelation is a LIE wrapped in truth. Luke shows this when he throws down his lightsaber. "I can save what I love without surrendering to violence." Rey shows this when she calls out to the Jedi. "Family is not blood, but who I love and defend."

So when Lor San Tekka said to Kylo Ren "You can not deny the truth that is your family" he means "You can not deny that there are people trying desperately to love and defend you." There is no one on the dark side loving or defending him.

When he gives his life so she may live, it is the ultimate expression of that definition of family. Her shadow self is fully integrated, Rey and Kylo becoming a literally reborn entity, Rey Skywalker, who returns home to the loving embrace of her family.

The first Skywalker was a woman from nowhere who was sold into slavery on a desert planet. We don't even know if that was her parents' name, or a name given her along her path. How beautifully fitting that another woman from nowhere should be her heir. The circle is now complete.
Needless to say a certain section of fans are calling me brainwashed over this "hot take" (just my ramble Saturday morning thoughts), oh well, prequel days all over again.
I’m not on social media but I saw a few of your threads on twitter about ROS over the weekend. They were great to read and were eloquently written. Always a treat to find positivity amongst the noise.
MindharpofPooPoo

Post by MindharpofPooPoo »

I'm with you. TROS may be (dare I say it) the best movie of the Disney era.

Sure it's insane and could have been stretched over two movies, but it's the closest in feel to the Star Wars I grew up with in the 80s and 90s.
vanhenge

Post by vanhenge »

I have only seen ROS once...scared to see it again for fear of losing that happy fun feeling about it.

4-5-8-1-6-R-7-9-3-S-2 I've gone up the ventilation shaft with TPM.
That's funny, the damage doesn't look as bad from out here.