Just Saw Rise of Skywalker for the second time

Hello there!
User avatar
Boushhdag
Posts: 8
Joined: January 14th, 2020, 12:05 am

Re: Just Saw Rise of Skywalker for the second time

Post by Boushhdag »

Went for the fourth and final time this week for my wife’s birthday. I cry every time i watch it, which can’t be said for many of the others. My new (early) rankings are;

6, 4, 3, 9, 7, R, S, 8, 2, 1, 3

This is preference, not quality. I’m not a Last Jedi hater - i like the film but there are sections that i’m not a fan of. I acknowledge that it is probably the best of the Disney films in terms of quality.
User avatar
AustinPrior
Posts: 14
Joined: January 13th, 2020, 11:27 pm

Re: Just Saw Rise of Skywalker for the second time

Post by AustinPrior »

Boushhdag wrote: January 24th, 2020, 7:32 am I cry every time i watch it
Me too. What are your big tear-jerker moments?

Mine would be Chewie's reaction to Leia's death and the fleet of ordinary citizens. Curse my dad-hormones!
Last edited by AustinPrior on January 29th, 2020, 5:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
Jar Jar's Cousin
Posts: 4
Joined: January 24th, 2020, 2:43 pm

Re: Just Saw Rise of Skywalker for the second time

Post by Jar Jar's Cousin »

TROS made me think of the movie HIGH NOON. For a brief explainer if you've never seen it, HIGH NOON is a bleak, existential, and deconstructionist cowboy movie from the '50s starring Gary Cooper as a sheriff dreading the arrival of a noon train, bringing a criminal with a deadly vendetta against him into town. It also has some very left-wing overtones, and may be symbolic of the director's experiences dealing with the Hollywood blacklist and the HUAC. John Wayne hated the movie so much, he made the movie RIO BRAVO as a direct rebuttal. RIO BRAVO tells basically the same story, but with an opposite moral and political affiliation.

LAST JEDI is HIGH NOON and THE RISE OF SKYWALKER is RIO BRAVO.

This isn't a comment on quality (I've actually never seen RIO BRAVO, but I know it's a highly regarded film), just my immediate, meta-, take on the film
User avatar
Boushhdag
Posts: 8
Joined: January 14th, 2020, 12:05 am

Re: Just Saw Rise of Skywalker for the second time

Post by Boushhdag »

AustinPrior wrote: January 29th, 2020, 5:36 am
Boushhdag wrote: January 24th, 2020, 7:32 am I cry every time i watch it
Me too. What are your big tear-jerker moments?

Mine would be Chewie's reaction to Leia's death and the fleet of ordinary citizens. Curse my dad-hormones!
Man, where to begin? Chewie’s reaction and Ben/Han without fail. The last time i saw it, the fleet of ‘people’ and weirdly the Lando/Jannah moment got me as well. I’m easily manipulated haha
User avatar
nashville
Posts: 25
Joined: January 13th, 2020, 4:25 pm

Re: Just Saw Rise of Skywalker for the second time

Post by nashville »

Sorry to be a downer. I was rolling my eyes at 90% of the movie, but the other 10% did make me cry because they pushed the right nostalgia buttons. Luke lifting the X-Wing, Dennis Lawson as Wedge, the voices of past jedi, the shot of the twin suns. None of it made any sense, but those moments were really powerful and moving to me.

I'm sure everyone has read the common critiques of the movie by now, so I won't pile on unsolicited negativity.
User avatar
Khailovesthispodcast
Posts: 64
Joined: December 14th, 2019, 10:30 am
Location: Dantooine. They're on Dantooine.
Contact:

Re: Just Saw Rise of Skywalker for the second time

Post by Khailovesthispodcast »

nashville wrote: February 2nd, 2020, 10:56 pm Sorry to be a downer. I was rolling my eyes at 90% of the movie, but the other 10% did make me cry because they pushed the right nostalgia buttons. Luke lifting the X-Wing, Dennis Lawson as Wedge, the voices of past jedi, the shot of the twin suns. None of it made any sense, but those moments were really powerful and moving to me.

I'm sure everyone has read the common critiques of the movie by now, so I won't pile on unsolicited negativity.
Maybe you'll find this funny: https://xkcd.com/2303/
"If only there was a place to talk about Star Wars Minute that wasn't on Facebook. Oh! Hello there."
Nodnarb Keryon
Posts: 31
Joined: January 14th, 2020, 5:42 pm

Re: Just Saw Rise of Skywalker for the second time

Post by Nodnarb Keryon »

I just can’t take it serious. Like Nashville said, I just keep rolling my eyes back and going pfffttt. When I watch it.
Post Reply